bulles d'air - April 2011

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Best Friend's Wedding

I've known C for over 20 years. We met at our first "official" jobs (meaning: 40 hours per week with benefits). Over the years we've gone thru much together - marriage, divorce, children, jobs, boyfriends, weight gain, weight loss....along with tears and laughter. Lots of laughter. C has an insatiable personality that lights up a room the minute she enters. She is loving, affectionate, and caring. C is also strong, assertive and confident. C calls every woman she meets - even if she doesn't know them - 'girlfriend'. As in 'thank you, girlfriend' after being served at a restaurant.

Over the years we have known each other, even though there were periods of time we didn't keep in touch (life events can sometimes make this happen), we grew closer and every time we talked and saw each other picked up where we left off. Since I moved to Minneapolis almost 6 years ago, C and I don't see each other as often, the last time being over a year ago. C flew to Minneapolis for a fun-filled and activity-packed 4 days. As soon as C got off the plane she said she had something to show me, something new. We weren't in the house 5 minutes and she unzipped her pants and pulled her shirt up to show a colorful artistic rendition of flowers flowing down the side of her body, not unlike the art she designs on the cakes she decorates at her restaurant in Rapid City (SD). C had fun showing her body art to everyone she met during her trip here. That's one thing I love about C - her whimsy, her freedom, her authenticity.

C is my best friend and we refer to each other as 'sister'. We call each other 'sis' along with other nicknames only the two of us use. This weekend, my 'sis' is getting remarried and I will stand beside her as maid-of-honor. I have not met her betrothed, J, though I have talked to him on the phone a few times. I can only imagine the wonderful and loving man he is for C would not be with anyone otherwise. I am happy for them. I am happy for the life they are starting together. I am happy my best friend has another best friend. I am not losing a sister but rather gaining a brother-in-law.

      Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other. 
                                                                                                           ~Carol Saline

Detail of wedding cake

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet. I hope you have a fabulous time at the wedding! C is lucky to have a lady like you in her life. :o)

    ReplyDelete