bulles d'air - April 2011

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lipstick Whore

Okay, I admit to being full-on girl. I like to wear make-up, jewelry, nice clothes, have my nails done, my hair colored and change purses (usually weekly). My biggest obsession? Make-up, specifically lipstick.

Can a girl really ever have too much make-up? Perhaps. My first foray into cosmetics was at the age of 11. My mother, finally, after much pleading, or perhaps exhaustion from constant nagging, allowed me to purchase eyeshadow and lip gloss. I was so excited. I took some hard earned babysitting money, went to the neighborhood drug store and quickly bought cream eyeshadow in a green that looked like forest moss and lip gloss resembling (and tasting) a bit like strawberry jelly. I was in heaven. When I put my finger in the small pots the first time I felt like I was a painter, nervously and carefully placing my index finger with the green goop on my eyelid, making sure to 'stay within the lines' and not make too much of a mess. Today, with an ever steady hand and many more steps in the process, I apply make-up with almost perfect precision and can put on a 'full face' in less than 5 minutes.

I love everything there is about cosmetics - the wide range of colors, especially for lips, eyes and nails (who knew GREEN would ever touch a fingernail?), the shimmer effects of purple eyeshadow, the new high-definition foundation (just purchased). Last count, I own approximately 50 tubes of lipstick/gloss. My brand favorites are from Chanel, OPI and MAC. The varying hues of red are my favorite though the color range is broad from the faintest nude (usually worn on the weekends when I wear the least make-up) to an almost black red, when I'm feeling a bit more dramatic. Sephora and Ulta are like candy stores to me, the Chanel and MAC counters at Macy's on Michigan Avenue in Chicago have me on their mailing list, and I receive weekly emails from Estee Lauder. My bathroom drawers and linen closet are filled with a wide range of brands and products...girlfriends who visit me know exactly where to go for their 'touch-up' and help themselves to my own personal make-up counter. And it is well organized with lipsticks in their own holders organized by brand, eye shadows and liners in a plastic file drawer, perfumes occupy two plastic lazy susans and cleansing products in one drawer.

I don't even want to think of the amount of money I have spent on cosmetics over the past 30+ years - probably enough to purchase a very nice new automobile - not a Mercedes, but perhaps a Ford Focus. Oh well, the money could have gone to far worse habits....like smoking or gambling.

My mother never wore much make-up, she didn't need to. Mom had a beautiful complexion, and great features...but she always wore lipstick. I have aptly followed suit and never leave home without lipstick on, often reapplying over the length of the day.

I have to admit I'm a bit envious of women who wear little, if any, make-up and look fresh and fabulous. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to wear foundation to cover my acne scars and sun damage (too much of a sun bunny in my teens), or put mascara on to make me look a bit more awake. But there is one thing I won't give up...that's right, lipstick.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/Ct/lead-free-lipstick2-lg.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment