bulles d'air - April 2011

Friday, October 23, 2009

Vacation

It's almost midnight on Friday evening. "Officially" the start of a weeklong vacation. Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com) defines a vacation as:

  • a time of respite from something
  • a period of exemption from work granted to an employee
  • a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation

Check, check, check. I'm doing all three, though I have to admit that the 2nd bullet point sounds a bit 'clinical'. Am I actually granted an exemption from work? Gee, and I thought paid time off was earned; not granted.

I don't remember the last time I took a week's vacation and actually went somewhere I've never been. We're headed west to Seattle, WA. The city of Seattle has always been on my travel list (in my mind; never written down) and all I've heard are great things. Albeit the city is wrapped in rain a lot and it is supposed to rain while we're there; I don't really care. I'm not traveling for the weather; I'm going on a vacation. And it probably doesn't matter where we're going, just that we are.

The biggest thing I fear about vacation is just when I'm starting to relax, unwind, remove work stress from my mind, it will be Monday, November 2 - the day I go back to work. Perhaps the Europeans have it right - I understand they get much more vacation than we do in the U.S. My previous employer gave us a whole two weeks a year - for vacation AND sick time AND personal time. Gee, how nice. Now I get 4 weeks, of which I'm thankful.

Some people plan their vacations to the hour - enjoying being a tourist and visiting every attraction and souvenir shop. Not us. We have no plans - we're going to wing it. Of course there are things we like to do on vacation - visit local restaurants, museums, people watch - but's that's the fun of vacation - take the time off - take a respite - but don't plan much. We're not only giving our bodies a vacation; but we're also giving our minds a vacation.

We're granting ourselves a respite...and that's what's really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment